Teeth whitening is an effective, safe, and fast way of getting a brighter smile. However, to maintain that sparkling white smile, you will need to take some precautions. Immediately after teeth whitening, teeth are more susceptible to staining, for up to 24 hours. This is the case or both in-office and at-home whitening procedures. Unsurprisingly, items that normally cause staining will also be able to do this in that small, post-whitening window.
While the whitening treatment itself can give you the smile you’ve always dreamt of, what you do afterwards is just as essential to keep your teeth white.
In this blog post, we’ll look at expert tips on how to care for your teeth after a whitening treatment.
Avoid these things to maintain teeth whitening:
Going through a teeth whitening session is time-consuming and will cost you money, so you want to make sure your investment is worth it. During the first 48 hours after the treatment, you need to be more aware of what you consume, as there are certain things that discolour your teeth. These include:
- Tea and coffee. These brews can stain your teeth instantly.
- Dark-coloured sauces. Avoid soya sauce, tomato sauce, red pasta sauce, barbecue sauce and curries.
- Fruit juice. Fruit juice is slightly acidic, causing the teeth to become more susceptible to staining.
- Dark chocolate. Chocolate contains caffeine that may stain teeth.
- Acidic food. Oranges, lemons, and other citrus fruits should be avoided. These are highly acidic, and can therefore weaken your enamel.
- Tobacco: Smoking is bad for your oral health, but it can also ruin a brand new whitened smile. This includes cigarettes, chewing tobacco and all other forms of tobacco. Nicotine and tar from tobacco products easily mix with saliva and darken the teeth.
Pro tip: Don’t consume anything that will stain a white shirt for 48 hours after your teeth whitening
If you can’t resist a coffee, cooldrink or other dark-coloured drinks, use a straw instead of sipping directly from your mug or glass. A straw will prevent the liquid from coming into contact with your teeth.
So what can I eat after teeth whitening?
While it may seem like your food and drink options are limited, there are many things you can enjoy after your teeth whitening session. These include:
- Skinless chicken: remove any portions of fat.
- White fish: avoid serving this with strong spices or dark coloured sauces.
- White rice, pasta, or bread: eat these in limited amounts, as excess carb consumption can promote cavities.
- Egg whites: Skip the yokes.
- White cheeses: Lower-fat versions are better options
- Peeled potatoes
- Cauliflower or white onions.
- Skimmed or low-fat milk.
More tips for maintaining teeth whitening results
Basic oral hygiene tips
For the best results, do the following:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day.
- Floss once a day to remove plaque
- Gargle with mouthwash regularly. This will help kill the types of bacteria that cause plaque build-up.
- Consider using a whitening toothpaste once or twice a week. Whitening toothpaste may remove surface stains and can help prevent discolouration.
Consider Touch-Up teeth whitening Treatments
Based on the type of treatment you’ve had, along with your lifestyle and diet, the results you see aren’t going to last forever.
You may need to get touch-up whitening treatments at least once a year, even in the case of in-office whitening.
Visit Your Dentist Regularly
Going for dental check-ups is an essential part of ensuring that the pearly white smile you enjoy today, remains that way for a long time.
If you’d love to have a sparkling white smile, contact Smith and Van Lierop Dentistry to find out more about our teeth whitening services.