Your Invisalign Aligner might be replaced every few weeks, but it still needs to be properly cleaned. Just rinsing your Invisalign is not enough to eliminate all the bacteria accumulated throughout the day. However, it does not need to be complicated or time-consuming. Keep reading to learn all the do’s and don’ts to keep your Invisalign Aligner squeaky clean.
The Basic Clean
It is recommended that you clean your aligner on a nightly basis. The cleaning process is as follows:
- Rinse your aligners with water every night.
- Brush your aligners with a soft-bristled toothbrush and gentle, clear liquid soap to remove debris that has built up throughout the day. Avoid using toothpaste as it may be too abrasive and could leave scratches on your aligners.
- Rinse thoroughly after brushing.
- Store in an air-tight protective case whenever they aren’t in use.
- Ensure that you rinse and dry your aligners before inserting them into your mouth
Your aligner may become cloudy or develop yellowish stains due to a number of factors, including:
- Not brushing your teeth before putting your aligners in your mouth
- Drinking coffee, tea, juice, wine, or coloured sodas
To remove these stubborn stains, we recommend filling a small bowl with warm water and hydrogen peroxide to soak them overnight. Alternatively, lightly brush them with a soft-bristled toothbrush dipped in baking soda.
However, we do not recommend soaking your aligners in mouthwash or dentures cleaner because it may leave stains that cannot be removed.
Simple Smile Solutions
Suppose you would like to simplify the cleaning process. In that case, Invisalign sells a range of products, including an Invisalign Cleaning System kit which conveniently comes with a cleaning tub and cleaning crystals that remove plaque and debris in just 15 minutes.
Be sure to ask your dentist at your next appointment with us to find out more about other cleaning products and accessories that Invisalign has to offer.